top of page
  • Writer's pictureFlow Australia

US, British forces carry out new strikes in Yemen

The US and UK have bombed multiple sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen in the two allies' second joint strikes on the rebel group's capabilities.



US and British forces have carried out a fresh round of strikes in Yemen, targeting a Houthi underground storage site as well as missile and surveillance capabilities used by the Iran-aligned group against Red Sea shipping.


According to officials, the US and UK used warship- and submarine-launched Tomahawk missiles and fighter jets to take out Houthi missile storage sites and launchers.


The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing mission.


The joint operation comes about 10 days after US and British warships and fighter jets struck more than 60 targets in 28 locations. 


That what was the first US military response to what has been a persistent campaign of Houthi drone and missile attacks on commercial ships since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October.


The Houthis, who control the most populous parts of Yemen, have said their attacks are in solidarity with Palestinians as Israel strikes Gaza.


The Houthi attacks have disrupted global shipping and stoked fears of global inflation.


They have also deepened concern that fallout from the Israel-Hamas war could destabilise the Middle East.


In the latest response, US and British forces carried out eight strikes on Monday with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands, according to a joint statement signed by the six countries.


"These precision strikes are intended to disrupt and degrade the capabilities that the Houthis use to threaten global trade and the lives of innocent mariners," the statement said.


British Defence Minister Grant Shapps said in a statement that the strikes were carried out in self-defence.


"This action will deal another blow to their limited stockpiles and ability to threaten global trade," Shapps said.


The latest barrage of allied attacks follows an almost-daily assault on Houthi missile launchers by US fighter jets and ship-based Tomahawks in the past week.


So far, multiple strikes have failed to stop Houthi attacks against shipping.


Container vessels have been pausing or diverting from the Red Sea that leads to the Suez Canal, the fastest freight route from Asia to Europe.


Many ships have been forced to take the longer route via the Cape of Good Hope instead. 

Reuters and AP


Comments


bottom of page