top of page
  • Writer's pictureFlow Australia

FA out to increase number of national second tier clubs

Football Australia is hoping to add two to four new clubs to its men's national second tier, which is expected to kick off in March or April next year.


Football Australia CEO James Johnson speaks during a Commonwealth Bank partnership announcement in Sydney, Tuesday, April 13, 2021. Image AAP

Football Australia is casting the net once more as it seeks to bolster the number of clubs participating in its soon-to-be-created men's national second tier. 


In November last year, eight clubs were unveiled as foundation members of the new competition, which is slated to start in March or April 2025.


All eight clubs were from Victoria and NSW and only one - Avondale - was not previously a member of the defunct National Soccer League (NSL).


Initially, FA had received 32 expressions of interest from every state and territory except for the NT.


The governing body is hoping to invite those remaining 24 clubs back into the process.


FA said it wanted to add between two and four new sides for its maiden season which would allow the competition to be played with a home-and-away draw followed by a finals series.


"This is an unprecedented opportunity for clubs to step into the spotlight and showcase their vision for not only contributing to the growth of the national second tier but also for shaping the future of football in Australia," FA chief executive James Johnson said in a statement. 


It remains unclear how promotion to the A-League Men might work but FA is hoping to have the new competition's participants and structure finalised by June later this year. 


APIA Leichhardt, Avondale, Marconi, Preston Lions, South Melbourne, Sydney Olympic, Sydney United, and Wollongong Wolves are the eight clubs to have already agreed to enter the national second tier.


Comments


bottom of page