• Staff Writers

Adelaide's full house for the Showdown



South Australia will lift restrictions on crowds at AFL games, allowing a full house to return at Adelaide Oval.


The Oval will welcome a capacity crowd from early next month, following a further easing of COVID-19 restrictions.


The relaxation comes into effect on May 8, allowing more than 50,000 fans at the next AFL showdown between Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows.


Premier Steven Marshall said on Thursday:

“Footy fans will be able to go along to the Showdown at the full capacity of the Adelaide Oval.
"I know that they've been waiting for this for a very, very long period of time."

Some requirements for mask use will still apply.


The Adelaide Oval has been restricted to three-quarter capacity (40,000) so far for the 2021 season. It will be the first time Adelaide Oval will be at full capacity for a football game since 2019, after closed-door or very small attendance matches in 2020.


The state government's announcement comes as Victoria prepares to host in excess of 75,000 fans at the traditional ANZAC Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood at the MCG.


South Australia reported nine new coronavirus cases on Thursday, all in recent overseas arrivals.


Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the rising number of active infections being handled in SA had her "on edge".


Ms Spurrier said officials were monitoring the capacity of Adelaide's Tom's Court hotel facility which is being used to house all returned travellers who test positive.

"We feel we're getting near capacity in terms of our concerns around safety."