• jasonregan4

SA on notice over potential virus cases

South Australians have been put on notice to follow COVID-19 rules and regulations or face tougher restrictions in response to a potential local outbreak of the virus.


Police Commissioner Grant Stevens says a meeting on Thursday will consider the current situation in SA after three exposure sites were identified linked to infected removalists who came into the state from Sydney.

"I'm giving people due warning that we are actively considering restrictions for South Australia," Mr Stevens told reporters.
"It is not something we want to do, but given what we are facing in Victoria and NSW, we are making decisions that will be in the best interests of South Australia."

In response to the NSW outbreak leaking into Victoria, SA has imposed new restrictions on arrivals from Victoria from midnight on Wednesday including mandatory testing within 24 hours. All freight drivers crossing into the state must also show proof of a negative coronavirus test undertaken less than 48 hours earlier or alternatively get tested within 24 hours.


In addition, the state has tightened the rules for people returning from Sydney, requiring everyone to apply for a special exemption. So far three sites at Tailem Bend, east of Adelaide, have been confirmed as potential exposure sites with the removalists stopping there on the return journey.


Mr Stevens said there had only been 25 QR code check-ins at the Tailem Bend locations during the time of concern, compared to 76 credit card transactions. He said the low use of QR codes would factor into Thursday's discussions about local restrictions.

"We need to be confident South Australians are doing the right thing and using those QR check-ins so we can actively contact anyone who may have been exposed," the commissioner said.