SA bolsters travel rules with NSW
South Australia will increase scrutiny on people returning from Sydney in response to a "seriously deteriorating" COVID-19 situation in NSW. From midnight on Monday, anybody returning to SA from Greater Sydney will be subject to a higher level of checks before being granted permission, including assurances of suitable quarantine arrangements.
About 950 people returned last week, but Premier Steven Marshall says authorities want to "seriously turn that tap off" with the system to no longer be a "box-ticking exercise".
"Exemptions will be approved but on a much narrower basis. There will be high level of scrutiny," he said.
The changes come as NSW reported 112 new virus infections. Mr Marshall has also given details of a removalist who tested positive in Sydney to the virus shortly after returning from a job moving a family of four to SA.
He said the family members were all in isolation and tested negative for the virus on both days one and four. They will now be required to complete 14 days of home quarantine after being regarded as close contacts to a positive case.
It was believed the three removalists involved had not stayed overnight in SA but had returned to NSW immediately after completing their delivery in McLaren Vale, south of Adelaide. There were no SA sites of concern in relation to their activity although some investigations were still underway.
The men had had not worn masks while in SA but it was not yet clear if they had breached any local virus restrictions. Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said from Thursday, anyone involved in the freight sectors would be required to have a test upon entering SA and would be subject to stricter rules around their activities.
Those included avoiding contact with other members of the public while in the state.
Mr Stevens said the increased measures for people entering SA would hopefully avoid the need for tougher local virus restrictions.
SA reported two new virus cases on Monday, both involving returned travellers in hotel quarantine. The state currently has 20 active infections including two people in hospital, a man in his 60s and a man in his 20s. Both are in a stable condition.