top of page
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Facebook Social Icon

Farmers condemn NSW firearm buyback scheme

  • jessdempster
  • 6 hours ago
  • 2 min read


Farmers and rural politicians in New South Wales are condemning the State Government’s firearm buyback scheme, arguing law-abiding gun owners are being unfairly punished and will not receive adequate compensation for firearms they are required to surrender.


The criticism follows the Government’s announcement of the buyback, which is expected to involve up to 274,000 registered firearms across New South Wales.


The scheme follows firearm law changes passed by the NSW Parliament in December last year, with the Government now preparing to begin buying back firearms affected by new ownership limits from November 2, 2026.


NSW Farmers President Rebecca Reardon says the farming community understands the need for responsible firearm reform following the Bondi attacks, but believes rural communities have not been properly consulted.


She says farmers are responsible firearm owners who use firearms for practical purposes including managing livestock, controlling pests and working across large areas of land, and should not be subjected to arbitrary ownership caps.


Ms Reardon is also questioning the level of compensation being offered, saying farmers should receive full and fair compensation for firearms, equipment and ammunition they are required to surrender.


That concern is shared by Cootamundra MP Steph Cooke, who says the scheme will unfairly affect thousands of licensed firearm owners and dealers across regional New South Wales.


Steph Cooke MP at the SSAA Wagga Wagga. IMAGE: Steph Cooke MP
Steph Cooke MP at the SSAA Wagga Wagga. IMAGE: Steph Cooke MP

Ms Cooke opposed the legislation establishing the buyback before it passed Parliament last December, and says the Government should instead focus on illegal firearms, criminals and people who are unfit to hold a firearms licence.


She says the firearms being targeted are registered weapons held by licensed owners already required to comply with strict storage and safety laws.


The Nationals MP is also critical of the financial impact on firearms dealers, saying some businesses have lost most of their turnover since Christmas and a grant capped at $25,000 will not adequately compensate them.


Ms Cooke says the Government’s initial compensation prices, ranging from $450 to $1000, also fail to reflect differences in the condition and market value of individual firearms.


Independent Member for Murray Helen Dalton is also opposing the buyback, arguing resources should instead be directed towards illegal weapons and criminal activity.


Helen Dalton, Independent Member for Murray.
Helen Dalton, Independent Member for Murray.

Ms Dalton says firearms are legitimate tools on farms, particularly for managing pests, and questions whether the compensation offered represents fair market value.


She says affected owners could receive $600 for a rimfire rifle, one-thousand dollars for a centre-fire rifle or $650 for a single-barrel shotgun, despite many having paid significantly more.


The three rural voices are also questioning whether the new restrictions properly account for the different circumstances of people living and working outside metropolitan areas.


NSW Farmers says it will continue advocating for reforms that are fair, proportionate and informed by the practical experiences of farmers, as the first phase of the buyback prepares to begin in November.

Comments


Contact Us 

  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Instagram
  • Grey Facebook Icon

© 2023 Flow Media Productions 

bottom of page